Under general supervision, the Payroll Manager is responsible for overseeing the processing of company payroll and corporate Time and Attendance for Union and Non-Union staff both locally and multi-state. Ensures accurate calculation of wages, tax withholdings, and company deductions. Ensures proper governmental reporting and compliance. Collaborates with Human Resources and accounting departments and directs and supervises the activities of a payroll staff.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete each essential function (job duty/requirement) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities or sincerely held beliefs, to perform the essential functions. Contact HR for additional information.
- Supervise the payroll team and assigned duties
- Maintains payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data; Processes withholdings, deductions, wage garnishments, or other special payroll actions and changes affecting net wages such as exemptions, and insurance coverages
- Oversees the administration of the electronic timekeeping system. Setup each employee, and adherence to FLSA; monitor submissions of approved timesheets, ensure valid data transfers to/from payroll service
- Demonstrates a full understanding of applicable wage policies, procedures and work methods associated with assigned duties; maintains current knowledge of City, state, and federal legislation affecting payroll
- Help to maintain employee records; ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization and adherence to compliance with federal/state/local regulations
- Evaluate the accuracy of timesheets submitted by each OpCo Group every week and contact supervisors or individual employees when there is a discrepancy
- Oversee the coordination efforts between payroll, human resources, Finance and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (e.g., overtime, leave balances, vacation, headcount, and retirement contribution)
- Help maintain and process employee verifications: complete form/verbal verifications & save information in employee file
- Coach, mentor, and train staff members to ensure that company payroll protocols are in accordance with company standards
- Assist managers with the understanding of pay systems, timesheets, PTO, and state and federal legislation on meal breaks
- Help resolves payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information
- Maintains employee confidentiality and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Keep informed about changes in tax and deduction laws that apply to the payroll process
- Provide accurate and effective document preparation and records management relative to the payroll functions in accordance to record retention policies and laws
- Quarterly filing for Washington L&I (this could just say L&I in case there are any other state specific filings not covered by our Epic WC policy/state funded plans).
- Audit support (L&I, Union, Financial, other)
- Experience with reading and interpreting CBAs (collective bargaining agreements)
- Ensure accurate and timely Union reporting submissions and coordination of Union payments
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
|Job Requirements – Minimum Qualifications|
- Degree in business, finance, or related field required
- Five (5) to Ten (10) years in a Payroll Office performing all payroll functions; Three years previous payroll/HR experience preferred
- Experience managing payroll in a union environment
- Managerial or supervisory experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of payroll processes and relevant legal regulations
- Excellent analytical and problem- solving skills
- Above average general math skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Effective communication skills including verbal and written skills
- Self-motivated and work well with others
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines
- Intermediate to advance computer literacy of word and spreadsheet software and recordkeeping and bookkeeping principles
|Physical Demands and Working Environment|
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, communicate, reach and manipulate objects, tools or controls. Minimum physical exertion. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds on a regular basis and up to 20 pound on an occasional basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 75% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, mouse, 10-key calculator, phone and similar machines.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment or is performed at home in a workspace environment.
- Occasional travel or necessary overtime.