- Understand the project scope of work sufficiently to plan, manage and execute associated work.
- Recognize necessary or desired scope changes
- Lead and direct people, equipment and resources in the construction of the project scope of work, as applicable
- Ensure sufficient deployment and productivity of work crews.
- Engage in open communication with the Superintendent and Project Managers, and report any issues which could affect the project plan.
- Work as a team member and leader to carry out project scope of work
- Proper use of project required equipment and tools
- Organize and coordinate the daily activities of all crew members, subcontractors, equipment and utilize proper corrective action to keep the project on time and on budget.
- Identify and execute best practices concerning the efficient use of construction materials, manpower and equipment.
- Plan work in an efficient and effective order, maximizing progress in a safe and timely manner.
- Review and adhere to construction schedules on a daily, weekly monthly and on a per project basis, ensuring milestones and completion dates are met.
- Ensure company equipment is lawfully operated, cared for, maintained and used effectively.
- Read and interpret project plans and specifications.
- Operate equipment as needed
- Assist project leadership in acquiring all project required municipal, state or federal approvals, including all departmental sign off’s up to and including the final building inspections and Certificates of Occupancy.
- Monitor and manage employee attendance, ensuring the timely arrival and participation of all crew members.
- Delegate tasks and accountabilities, instruct, supervise, lead and direct base crew.
- Communicate between the company and employees on a variety of employee related matters.
- Comply with relevant legislation regarding employee management, terminations and resignations.
- Handle and thoroughly investigate all employee concerns.
- Work with the Human Resource department on a variety of employee related issues, including employee development, recruitment, training, terminations, and investigations.
- Ensure consistent and fair application of the progressive disciplinary policy, as necessary.
- Other Employee Supervision duties as required.
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, sub-contractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Conduct daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections.
- Review safe work plans/hazard assessments with crew prior to job commencement.
- Work with Safety Coordinator to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite, and ensure proper procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
- Work in a safe, responsible manner to not intentionally or unintentionally injure oneself, or endanger the well-being of others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Blueprint reading
- Knowledge of construction processes
- Knowledge of construction equipment
- Interpersonal skills
- Time Management
- Supervisory skills
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Problem solver
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position involves work at a construction site where duties will be performed both indoors and outdoors.
- Overtime, afterhours or nightwork may be required to meet project deadlines
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and other business machines
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms;
- Climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and
- Talk and hear
- The employee is occasionally required to sit.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Qualifications & Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience within the construction industry
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience as a Construction Foreman
- Valid Driver’s License or equivalent required.